Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stone Age







The starlings finally vacated their nest at the back of the house and I was free to start work. For the past four years I've looked at the grassy lump and wondered what structure lay beneath and just what age its origins might be. There are other lumps scattered around New Tolsta all that is left from an age long before the 19th century farm.There would have been serious cerial cultivation as depicted by the mass of lazy beds ribbing the land that runs down to the beach.
The dry weather meant that the usually lush grass was relatively easy to remove and so I started the job of finding the foundation stones and raising the walls. Having worked for years on old houses I'm used to nothing being straight vertical or level. Many of the large granite boulders were beyond my strength to lift and so I rolled, made ramps and pushed the stones up to perch above where I was working and then bring them back down as the wall slowly rose to shoulder height. This would be the limit for this year as I let everything settle and plan the roof which rest on the inner meter thick walls. Tradition would have me turning turf onto the roof to be followed by thatch and all held down with heather platted rope and granite boulders but I remain open to a few modern touches like an old fishing net to hold it all in place.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I am in awe of your accomplishment, Tom, and all the more so having been there to see the 'before-and-after' (as well as part of the work in progress) of the house that your photos show. I am envious of your accomplishment, and no less the passion that led you to this latest story on your croft. Clearly a master at restoration, you are no less a master of understatement to describe as 'relatively easy' even the digging up of the lumps of grass. Nothing about the restoration of this building was relatively easy; you have invested a huge amount of time and very hard work, and will expend still more passion and energy in completing the roof and more - well done!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete